Big Island Rental Advisors

Living the Big Life!

Hawaii Rental Property Owners

In the State of Hawaii a individual can self-manage his/her own rental property(ies) without a real estate license. 

Hawaii’s Residential Landlord-Tenant Code stipulates, if you rent your property(ies) and live off-island:

  1. Hire a on-island agent to act on your behalf.
  2. Designate a on-island local contact to assist with the collection of taxes for your rental property(ies). 
  3. The on-island local contact also serves as the contact in case of an emergency or natural disaster, or to answer any questions, concerns, or property issues that arise.

The on-island agent/local contact doesn’t have to be a licensed real estate professional, unless he/she is involved in renting or offering to rent the property.

Hawaii Form BB-1 GET & TAT License

Big Island Short Term Vacation Rental Owners

The recently-adopted Ordinance 18 114, also known as “Bill 108,” regulates short term vacation rentals(STVR) in Hawai‘i County. 

The Bill stipulates that an on-island reachable person must be listed on the application and posted in the Short Term Vacation Rental Property.

Owner/Reachable Person Responsibilities:

  1. Reside in the County of Hawai‘i;
  2. Be reachable by guests, neighbors, and County agencies on a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) days per-week basis; 
  3. Be able to respond via telephone to a request from a guest, neighbor or County agency within one (1) hour of receiving that request and be physically present at the STVR within three (3) hours of receiving a call from a guest, neighbor or County agency, when that guest, neighbor, or County agency requests the presence of the reachable person;
Hawaii County STVR Application Packet

We Accept PayPal