Big Island Vacation Rental Owners
The recently-adopted Ordinance 18 114, also known as “Bill 108,” regulates short term vacation rentals(STVR) in Hawai‘i County.
The Bill stipulates that an on-island reachable person must be listed on the application and posted in the Short Term Vacation Rental Property.
Owner/Reachable Person Responsibilities:
- Reside in the County of Hawai‘i;
- Be reachable by guests, neighbors, and County agencies on a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) days per-week basis;
- Be able to respond via telephone to a request from a guest, neighbor or County agency within one (1) hour of receiving that request and by physically present at the STVR within three (3) hours of receiving a call from a guest, neighbor or County agency, when that guest, neighbor, or County agency requests the presence of the reachable person;
Transient Accommodations Rules for Hawaii
- Designate a local contact residing on the same island as the property.
- Provide the local contacts information to any entity with covenants, bylaws, or administrator (AOAO-Association of Apartment Owners) and (HOA-Home Owners Associations).
- Include the local contact name and phone number in any contract or written rental agreement.
- Provide on a website or by online link and display in all advertisements and solicitations on websites the registration identification number issued under HRS 237D-4, also known as the Transient accommodations tax license number
Self Managing Your Property
In the State of Hawaii a individual can lease and manage his/her own property without a real estate license.
Hawaii’s Residential Landlord-Tenant Code, if you rent your property(ies) and live off-island:
- Find an on-island agent to act on your behalf.
- Designate a local contact to assist with the collection of taxes for your rental property(ies).
- The local contact also serves as the contact in case of an emergency or natural disaster, or to answer any questions, concerns, or property issues that arise.
The on-island agent/local contact doesn’t have to be a licensed real estate professional, unless he/she is involved in renting or offering to rent the property.